Search This Blog

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Zion Park, Utah - Part 3

After hiking Angel's Landing and Emerald Pools we decided to finish up the day by fitting in the rest of the easier hikes within the canyon.  The hikes included Zion Classics the Riverside Walk and the Weeping Rock.

We started off by taking a look at the Temple of Sinawava, which is basically just a cool looking rock formation at the edge of the river:


Another view of the Temple of Sinawava:


We then proceeded to the Riverside Walk which is an easy 2 mile stroll that takes you to the entry way to the Narrows which is an amazing series of narrow canyon walls along the river which I'm hoping I'll get a chance to come back and do another time.  Our hike showed us great views of the canyon walls with the river water having a greenish tint to it: 




Another view of the canyon on the way to the Narrows:


As we continued our stroll along the river the sun was shining on one side of the canyon walls giving it a glowing look that I thought was cool:


About a mile into the hike we approached a portion of the trail that was closed due to ice falling from the canyon walls.  We tried to ignore the trail being closed and hiked through the ice anyway, but the more I walked through the ice the more I started thinking about where it was coming from and I started thinking about getting stabbed in the head from icicles falling from the canyon walls.  I freaked myself out and decided that it probably wasn't a good idea to proceed, but Holly was able to snap off this pic of the ice before we turned around:


Unfortunately I decided that it would be safer to turn back and head to the Weeping Rock which is a very easy .5 mile hike up to a rock cave that drips water.  It was kind of cool to check out, but really crowded due to it being so easy to get to:


This trail was also closed due to ice, but this time we ignored the warnings:


After Weeping Rock we finished our day by driving around and taking in some of the last sights of the Canyon.  Here are a few more pictures that I took that I thought were good views of the Court of the Patriarchs:


and some Arches in the wall that look like two eyes looking back at you:


The rest of the pictures that I took from these hikes can be seen at my flickr site: Zion National Park, Utah - Part III.

For our night cap we hit up a few of the nearby Zion restaurants.  Our first stop was Bit & Spur Restaurant and Saloon for some good Utah Micro Brews (Believe it or not they do have beer in Utah, and believe it or not it is actually pretty good) and some chips and salsa.  We then left for diner at Oscar's Cafe for some more beer and a nice meal.  I had some ribs and Holly had the Turkey Burger that she was craving.  

The next day we headed back to St. George before making the drive back to Vegas for one more night of fun.  I'll have more pics from the Vegas strip in my next post.  

No comments: